Friday, December 17, 2010

On the Upswing!

So...it's late, and I can't take the time to give too many updates. Suffice it to say that days have been better, and my husband is the greatest.

Over the past couple of days, I have run into current foster parents and former foster parents, heard songs about foster kids on the radio, heard commercials about foster care on the radio. There have been an abnormal number of instances validating the need and giving encouragement. I'm not saying they're signs from God or anything, but they're certainly encouraging nudges, so...we press on!

I had my first 90-minute psychosocial evaluation with our foster agency this week. Needless to say, this was new territory for me. My husband has his next week, so I can't wait to compare notes. It was surprisingly not as awkward as anticipated. Throughout the conversation, however, I felt like the counselor probably didn't believe the lack of significant stressful events in my life...I was feeling some pressure to reach into the recesses of my mind and recount any shred of stress that I could remember living through! When the psychotherapist was talking about drug addiction, divorce, and natural disasters, I just couldn't help but feel a little unjustified referring to the stress of finals week...haha. No, but seriously, I was encouraged and reminded that my family life has been one filled with love and encouragement. Perfect? Absolutely not...but more than sufficient. I was reminded of the unfortunate rarity of that kind of upbringing, and since then have been really moved and thankful as I have reflected...right in time for Christmas.

Mom and Dad, thank you for doing your very best all these years. Thank you for loving each other faithfully, and thank you for pouring yourselves into both me and my brother. Speaking of my brother, thank you for your influence in my life. I'm not sure you'll ever know the power that comes along with being an older brother. I'm not sure many people in my life will impact it more than you have. Thank you for using your influence for my benefit, and for putting up with your pesky little sister all these many years. I love you guys!

In-laws (all of you), what a blessing you each are to us. Thank you for welcoming me with open arms, and thank you for agreeing to walk this path with us, praying for us, supporting us, encouraging us, loving on kids who aren't your own. I consider it no small blessing to have in-laws whom I love so dearly.

Now, off to bed...Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment