Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Prone to Wander, Lord, I Feel It

I like setting goals and achieving goals. It's one of the ways God made me, and like many of my personality traits, the Lord can use it in mighty ways, but the devil sure knows how to use it as a temptation. If there was a theme in my life, this would certainly be it.

So often, I feel like I have neglected the constants in my life - those things that require daily, often mundane work (my spiritual walk, family, close friends, ongoing ministries, etc.). Instead, I have often gotten wrapped up in grand ideas that seem like good work for the kingdom. The problem, however, is that the Lord most often never called me to these seemingly "good works," and He hasn't laid out the path before me.

This week has been a rough week for me as I have, yet again, found myself in this valley - expending a great deal of effort in areas that the Lord may have never intended. The good news is that "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." - Romans 8:1. The bad news is that the Lord is, yet again, having to do the painful work of getting my priorities in check.

The result has been a very harried household, not one marked by "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control" - Galatians 5:22-23. I don't think it has to do with busy-ness alone. Our household has been busy for quite some time and still strong and stable. I think it has everything to do with the things around which that busy-ness revolves. When we have been busy laboring for His kingdom - in the ways in which He has laid out for us - it has been life-giving for us! When we have been busy laboring for ourselves and our own plans and schemes, it has sucked the joy right out of life.

"For we are God's workmanship, 
created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, 
that we should walk in them."
Ephesians 2:10

Father, I am awed and humbled by the truth that you have ordained specific good works, like being a wife and a foster parent, for me to walk in. These are works for which you have thoroughly equipped me and through which I will bring You the most glory. Help me not to take these tasks lightly. Help me not to check them off my to-do list prematurely. Help me not to be persuaded by my pride that tells me I have already achieved these and am ready to move onto something new. Help me, instead, Lord, to fix my eyes on You alone and not to neglect my prayer life.

No comments:

Post a Comment