Monday, May 16, 2011

A Visit From an Ambassador for GOD


Emmy's CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) came to visit us on Saturday. In case you're not familiar with that term, here's the best explanation I found online:

"CASA volunteers are appointed by judges to watch over and advocate for abused and neglected children, to make sure they don’t get lost in the overburdened legal and social service system or languish in inappropriate group or foster homes. Volunteers stay with each case until it is closed and the child is placed in a safe, permanent home. For many abused children, their CASA volunteer will be the one constant adult presence in their lives."

I was somewhat familiar with the role of a CASA, because of my time working in a children's hospital and because of the recent book I read, Three Little Words. It's almost amusing how many times I've heard people say, "My role is to look out for the best interest of the child." How many government employees does it take to fulfill that one role? It's a good thing to hear, but it's also a very subjective role to have. How does one decide what's in the best interest of a child?

Anyway, it seems to me that the role of the CASA is extremely important, and the quality of foster children's lives seem to often be deeply influenced by the effectiveness of their CASA (if they have one). A CASA follows a child from the day they enter foster care until the day they have a permanent home. Many times, they may be the only member of the system who really pays close attention to how long a child has been in care, how many times a child has been transferred from home to home, etc. If a CASA has good oversight, it should prevent children from being forgotten and caught in limbo the way they often are. Again, this is just my limited understanding, but it's the best I can do so far.

I didn't quite know what to expect when Emmy's CASA showed up 45 minutes early on Saturday. Much to my surprise, I opened my door to the warm, joyful, smiling face of a woman who felt like an instant family member. As she spoke with me, she held my hands, winked every once in a while, looked right in my eyes, and listened carefully to every word I said. Her voice was peaceful, loving, and kind. It was such a pleasant surprise.

When I let her in the door, she made a few jokes about her drive here, and we got a good laugh. Then, I went to get Emmy out of her crib. When I brought Emmy downstairs, her CASA spoke gently and sweetly to her, and Emmy was captivated. Her eyes were glued to this woman, and then came these precious and most meaningful words. She looked deep into Emmy's eyes and said, "Do you know I pray for you every single day?" Then she looked deep into my eyes and said, "...and I pray for you too, [name], and your husband, [name]."

I hardly knew what to say! Reflecting on it makes me almost well up with tears! How amazing is our Lord God who has surrounded this baby girl and her mom with an army of prayer warriors from the body of Christ? He has assembled such a strong network around them, and it's an amazing privilege to be a small part of it.

Emmy's CASA, again, expressed some deep concern regarding Emmy's mother's health and encouraged me to meet Emmy's mom when I have the chance. I look forward to the day when I will be able to do just that. Until then, I know that the CASA will join us in covering her in prayer.

As our visit came to a close, Emmy's CASA handed me her business card, held my hand, told me to call her any time, and winked. As she got into her car to drive away, I glanced at her business card. It read:

[First & Last Name]
Ambassador for GOD

...Thank you once again, Jesus, for the body of Christ, and thank you for mobilizing Your Church to care for orphans.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, 
kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control
Galatians 5:22-23

5 comments:

  1. HIS love and assurance never fails to amaze me. Marilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your post on Jamie's blog and had to jump over! We just got licensed to become foster parents with the intent to adopt last month. I'm so excited to find you! I hope you won't mind if I follow your journey!

    I love LOVE that the CASA is a Goldy woman, and is praying for you, for Emmy, and for the birth mom. How amazing is that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Loved your post. I found you through Jamie's blog. We are in the process to adopt through foster care as well. We have 2 children of our own who are older (teen & preteen) so there have been some uncertainties on my part--everyone else in the family is all in! I had great excitement at first as we were certain the Lord was leading us to adopt and then as reality began to set in, set did my fears. Basically, I am selfish. period. So appreciate your reminder that this is not about me. It's all about obedience. Look forward to following your journey. :) Sheryle

    ReplyDelete
  4. CASA workers are awesome and I think most are Christians. It would be nice if CASA workers were assigned to all children whose parents are going through divorce because so often they just become a pawn in the game. So glad you had a good experience with the CASA worker. It's always something you could consider in the future since they also work with foster kids. They can't serve as foster parents at the same time because it's a conflict of interest.

    ReplyDelete