Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Roller coaster

We continue to have wonderful days followed by not-so-wonderful days. Fortunately, wonderful days far outnumber the bad ones. A few interesting developments...

K-man has stumbled a couple of times and called me mommy. He quickly corrects himself. I've told him once that it would ok if he wanted to call me mommy, but for now we're sticking with Mrs. _________. He's starting to be quite the snuggler, hugger, and kisser from time to time. It's such sweet time, but it's typically followed by some evident confusion on his part. We've also entered into some pretty severe separation anxiety on K-man's part. Deep down, we know this is a good sign that he's developing a sense of attachment that he desperately needs. On the other hand, I'm really struggling as I anticipate what life might look like next week when I will need to drop him off in child care several times a week to teach classes, go to Bible Study, and go to church. PLEASE pray for this transition next week. We have some strategies in place, and we're praying like crazy, but I really covet your prayers for K-man to be able to trust that I will, indeed, come back to get him when I am finished and that God is with him wherever he goes.

Around Christmas time, K-man started feeling a lot of home-sickness for his momma. It's been heartbreaking to watch or to hear the crying over the monitor in his room. It's been even worse as we've started to see him act out in response to the confusing emotions he can't seem to articulate. We're constantly having to think through our response to outbursts. Do we punish? Do we comfort? This definitely keeps us on our toes, but the fruit from our discipline has been neat to watch. The Lord is definitely guiding the process.

Christmas day was a beautiful, beautiful thing. We definitely came face to face with the challenge of balancing Christ and the materialism and fantasy of the Christmas season, but all-in-all, we had a great Christmas, and K-man has a far deeper understanding of Jesus' birth. I can hardly even put into words the excitement we have when we hear him talk about Jesus, knowing that he had never even heard the name a month ago.

On our drive to visit my family, I downloaded this "Seeds of Praise" CD and we listened to it in the background as we drove. Much to my surprise, in the midst of a typical never-ending conversation with K-man, he stopped and asked what they were singing about. We were listening to "The Mouth." the lyrics were...

"Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." 
Matthew 12:34

The Lord has used that verse so many times to speak to K-man's heart. At random times in the day, he will talk about our explanation, and when disciplining, it's been an amazing conversation tool. I can't say enough good things about this CD and the fruit we have seen.

Perhaps what we were most worried about was K-man's response to the hordes of people we were going to visit on Christmas day. I prayed over that like crazy, and I know many of you did as well! The Lord worked some kind of miracle. We had no issues all day!! We're talking about a 12-hour day of traveling and visiting with strangers...all this for a child who regularly closes up and occasionally erupts with anger when new people are around. We were shocked at how great the day went. In the end, K-man treated our family like his family. He joked with them, gave big hugs, played football in his very own football helmet (compliments of my brother...an amazing gift...again, it's such a shame that I can't post pictures). We abandoned all hope of good nutrition, so no food battles...haha...it was just such a sweet day - one that surely ministered to these boys and one that encouraged my husband and I as well.

So...prayer requests...

  • Please, please pray for K-man's separation anxiety. Pray that the Lord would give my husband and I wisdom in how to handle it. Pray that the Lord would give K-man confidence in our love for him and, ultimately, in God's love for him. Specifically, pray for the "classes" that he'll be attending on Monday mornings, Wednesday mornings, and Thursday mornings. You can also pray for his classes at church on Sunday mornings and on Wednesday nights.
  • Pray for K-man's anger in general. All of a sudden, he seems to get angry as a default response to frustration. Please pray that we would be able to guide his heart to a more appropriate response. Pray that we would know when to be stern and when to be gentle. It's been such a hard balance.
  • Pray for my attachment with B-boy. For some reason, it's just not coming very easily. I assume that a lot of it is just the fact that I've been busy attaching to K-man, but either way...it's uncomfortable. I would appreciate your prayers.
  • Pray for their mom and 2 brothers. Pray boldly that their momma will come to know the Lord and that He will breathe new life into her.
  • Pray over their next court date, set for January 24th - wisdom for all people involved, especially the judge.
  • Pray for their case manager, who has not been very responsive thus far.
  • Pray that the Lord would continue to sustain us. It is so easy to lose sight of the gospel work going on and get tired of the drudgery. Pray that He would provide frequent opportunities (as He always has) for my husband and I to re-energize and rekindle our passion for His work in these little lives for which we care.

No comments:

Post a Comment