Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Still here!

Yesterday was a big day! I woke the boys up at 7am in order to get them to our case worker in time for them to make it to court. B-boy woke up with a fever and feeling worse than ever, so we all made the executive decision not to send him to the courthouse (not really certain how much trouble we would get in, but it all turned out ok).

The night before, my husband and I, under the advice of a dear friend who is a play therapist, decided that we really needed to talk K-man through what was happening the next day. Here is what we decided to tell him when he asked, "What am I going to do when I wake up?"

"Well, K-man, you're going to go to court tomorrow. Have you ever been to court before? You're going to see your momma and your brothers and (insert long list of names here). K-man, do you know why you're staying here with us? Your momma has a few things she needs to do before you can go and live with her again. Until she finishes those things, you're going to stay here with us, and boy have we been having a good time, right?! She's been working really hard on those things, because she loves you and misses you so much. Tomorrow, the judge is going to talk to your momma and see if she's finished doing the things she needs to do. If she has, then you won't need to stay here with us anymore, but if there's still a little more she needs to do, then you'll come back and stay with us for a little while longer. No matter what happens, remember that God is with you wherever you go."

At different times that night, we tried to emphasize how much we had enjoyed having them both here, we talked about fun memories we had made together. We didn't make a big deal out of it or anything, but we tried to leave the option open, in case they went home and we never saw them again.

The next morning I dropped K-man off for court and brought B-boy back home with me. That was 8am. I didn't hear a word from anyone until 12:30pm. They had been on trial for an hour or so before the mandatory recess they always call around lunch time. They would re-convene at 2pm. The word from our case worker at that time was that they would probably go home that day. I was rattled...not knowing what to think. I went to take a shower to try to get my mind off of everything. Part of me wanted to cry as I reflected on these sweet boys whom I might never see again - especially a 3-year-old who would be able to remember and think of us. The other part of me, selfishly, started to think about all of the free time I would have and all of the things I might finally get done. My stomach was in knots for many reasons.

Finally, around 4pm, I heard from the case worker. They were on their way to my house for at least another 30 days until the judge would review the case again for progress. An answer to prayer, for sure...she just kept repeating how shocked she was that the judge kept them in care. She was certain there hadn't been enough evidence. K-man was clearly exhausted after no nap and clearly confused about what had happened. Still, we were glad that we had briefed him on what would happen. At bed time that night, we said our prayers, turned off the lights, and heard him crying over the monitor. Poor little guy is trying so hard to make sense of it, but he just can't in his little 3-year-old mind. Today has been more normal, but I think he's still got a lot going on in his head and in his heart.

Thank you so, so, so much for your prayers. Please continue to pray that we will take full advantage of these next 30 days that have been given to us. It's so easy to grow weary and wish the time away. Pray that we would have joy and that we would not squander what little time we have.

And another prayer request - I finally took B-boy to the doctor yesterday, and he was diagnosed with RSV. This is a nasty respiratory virus that could have him feeling bad and contagious to other children for 3 weeks or more. PLEASE pray that he continues to be his usual, happy self throughout the duration. Also, please pray that this would be short-lived. You mommas know how quickly the walls can start to cave in on you when you're trapped in your house all day every day - having to forego all of the normal outings that bless you with adult company and conversation.

More updates to come soon, I'm sure!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow, what an emotional day for everybody! Court dates are the hardest times in fostering, I think. We had one last week, where I wasn't sure if they would move our foster baby or not. I was a wreck, knowing that it could be our last day with him (we have not had a kid leave our home yet). But he is still here, too...for an indefinite amount of time. But our boys don't attend their court dates...how difficult that must have been for little K-man! I can't imagine a 3-year old spending all day in court with no playtime or naptime, let alone the emotions and confusion he must have felt! :(

    As I wonder what the future will hold for the little ones in our care, I have been encouraged by Matthew 10:29-31. Our Father is watching and caring for them, and for us. Don't be discouraged...I know it is difficult work, but you are doing so much for their hearts and minds and souls, and God is at work in them through you and your husband!

    I hope and pray that B-boy will be well soon!

    ReplyDelete