Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Phone Rang...

Ill need to give some background here. After Emmy left last week, we sat down with our agency and had a conversation that was frightening, but it was a conversation we really felt led to have. Our agency requires foster children to be at least 3 years younger than your youngest child. For that reason, most families within the agency are only able to take babies and toddlers. There are also several families who are looking to adopt, and their parameters are even a bit more narrow - considering gender, race, background, etc. My husband and I are in a unique position in that we have no other kids to consider. We have no one to protect, so there really is no external reason that we could not push ourselves just an inch more outside of our comfort zone.

Our agency helped us think through and process our best options as best we could. Because I am at home full-time, they encouraged us to continue to focus on children who are not yet in school, but they also encouraged us to consider taking a sibling set. Terrified by the prospect, we've been waiting to see what the Lord might bring to our doorstep.

And here I sat a few moments ago when the phone rang...and I would be lying if I didn't say that terror shot through my entire body. I was literally shaking for a good half-hour as I considered the children they had presented us with. I can't give specifics, but this is a 3-year-old boy and his 4-month-old brother (both boys...yikes!!). We had a conference call - myself, my husband, and our agency, and they proceeded to call DFACS for a few more details. When they called us back, they reported that DFACS was not going to be able to get these children today, and they might not be able to get them at all. Hearing the details of where these kids are living, my heart is just breaking as I think about them spending even one more night there.

  • Please pray for these 2 boys - that the Lord would protect them tonight, and that He would bring them out of their current situation and bring them to safety, wherever that may be.
  • Pray for their biological mother - that the Lord would begin to reveal Himself to her - to open her eyes and bring redemption.
  • Pray for my husband and I as we seek clarity in the midst of our overwhelming fears. Pray that we would be obedient and that the Lord would guide our steps and hold our hands.
We may get another phone call about these kids tomorrow, and we will have to give an answer at that time. We may never get another phone call about them again. We will keep you posted as best we can. Just pray with us if you will. Thank you.

For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
   and his ears are open to their prayer.
But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.
1 Peter 3:12

1 comment:

  1. I always enjoy hearing how different states, agencies, etc. govern themselves. It is AMAZING how they ALL differ! I had never heard of an agency only allowing children 3 years younger than the youngest in your home. How do older children ever get homes? Hum... I am thankful that agencies have chosen whatever they feel is best for their foster families. That way any family can truly find a fit for them. I am enjoying reading some of your posts. I have 3 little ones to put to bed so I'm off. Praying for you as I do.

    ReplyDelete